8.07.2004

The Friday Situation

I apologize for not posting yesterday. Things were... slow. I had other things to take care of, and I was exhausted, and I did work on a longer post that I'd like to finish today and share, but we'll see. I may not finish it tomorrow. I have grass to cut today.

Last night I went to the final Polka party. It was an interesting time. Unlike the old parties, where I knew nearly everyone in attendance, I only knew a handful of people this time around. I sang a couple of numbers with the band, and it felt good, but then the band tore down and the disco came on the stereo and the giant stein came out, full of candied alcohol, and a melancholy settled gently on the proceedings.

Between conversations of somnambulism and W. Somerset Maugham; between cigarettes and beers; between the bright, danceable songs and the strangers who Could Not Know what all this meant; between the sequins of the disco ball shimmering on the living room walls, it occurred to me: This is the end.

It's not like everyone is leaving town, but with these two going, it sure feels like it. I'll get a chance to see them one more time before they go, but it's over.

The past two years have been like that small whirlpool that forms in the bathtub as it drains. Remember back when you were a child, and it was magical, the way you could see down the center of it and it seemed as though you could stick your finger out and touch the bottom of the tub without touching the water? How it appeared, and you sat, captivated, and then it was gone?

Well, for a time, it seemed as though I could reach out and get to the bottom of things with all these people. Of course I got all wet, and now the center is breaking up. Soon we'll all just be afloat on different horizons.

4 Comments:

At August 7, 2004 at 2:49 PM, Blogger interrobang said...

Maybe it's time for you, too, to pack it up and move on....

 
At August 7, 2004 at 10:24 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Okay. This blog is over.

 
At August 7, 2004 at 11:14 PM, Blogger interrobang said...

I mean geographically, dumbass.

 
At August 12, 2004 at 11:19 AM, Blogger mouthnoize said...

out of the ashes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home