9.04.2003

I just realized I detest hedonism and hedonists. If I were actually serious about taking up puritanism, I'd be a fantastic Puritan. Really.

That's the funny thing about a Protestant, Midwestern upbringing. You get to a certain point where in spite of the positive feelings pleasure generates, you loathe them. Working hard, struggling, suffering are things one can feel good about. I know it probably seems backwards, but I have serious reservations about only pursuing one's pleasure. Maybe it's a community spirit thing the Boy Scouts gave me.

I am such a sour person. You know how people complain about old people? That they're cranky and dour and full of stupid, old-fashioned ideas and habits? That's me in fifty years, provided I live that long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home