9.17.2002

Typically, I evaluate my mood and situation before listening to music. In most cases, the music should match the mood or manipulate it how I would like. I use it to enhance and alter the environment and the quality of experience.
Not anymore. I'm in the process of listening to my MP3 collection (yes, I own copies of all the CDs) in alphabetical order by artist and then by album. The idea is to jump genre, juxtapose Bill Monroe with Beck with Boards of Canada. I've a feeling it will also expose music that doesn't match up in quality, another goal. After moving, I loaded up my CD towers, and both of them are full. Just months ago, I was at 66%. It's tough for me to believe that the remaining 33% was made up with non-impulsively-purchased albums. Admittedly, some are burned mix CDs, but certainly no more than five.
It's been difficult to resist the urge to throw in something else: I picked up The Magnetic Fields' "69 Love Songs" and I want to listen to it a lot more than DJ Krush or Boards of Canada. Because I persisted, though, I discovered the brilliance that is Built to Spill. So there are rewards in what I'm doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home